The History Society has been left legless this week as valuable table legs were stolen from an antique table in the Merton MCR on Friday 17 October. The legs were only returned on Wednesday following a university-wide appeal, and an amnesty offered for their return.On Friday, the History Society hosted its opening event of the academic year, marketed as a ‘free-flowing’ cocktail soirée.A pre-event message from the History Society read, “Come on down to Merton MCR at 8.30pm tonight for our termly cocktails. Entry is only £1 for members, £4 for non-members for unlimited cocktails. Also, don’t miss out on the chance to buy lifetime for the discounted price of £12.”Such incentives at first seemed to have paid off, with the event being packed. Some disgruntled freshers were even turned away due to the popularity of the event. The evening began smoothly, with the History Society managing to get plenty of legs through the door. One student present told Cherwell, “It was strictly standing room only, though the event was hardly rowdy.” Only subsequently was it discovered that an antique table had been severely damaged.History Society members were alarmed when the following afternoon they received an email informing them that “during the course of the evening, a table was broken and the legs have disappeared.” The email stressed, “It is essential we retrieve the missing table legs,” asking members to contact either Emily Ellis or Tom McPherson, the two co-presidents of the Society, if they knew anything about the whereabouts of the legs. The email also promised not to hold anyone “responsible for the damage”.By late afternoon on Sunday, little progress had been made. Another email was sent to the Society’s mailing list, this time filled with bold type. The presidents announced the legs of the table were still missing and stressed, “it is extremely important that we find them.” The email also revealed the Society was liable for the cost of the damage if the legs could not be found, and would have to “pay extensive financial costs.”Although the person responsible for the breaking of the valuable antique table had by this stage come forward, it took several days for the legs to be returned. Repeated searches of the room took place, and they were nowhere to be found on the Merton MCR premises. In a statement, the two student co-presidents explained, “We can only conclude that someone else either threw them away or took them when they left the event.”The email continued, “If you have any information about the table legs, even if they were thrown away, we would be very grateful to know what happened to them.”Emily Ellis, meanwhile, was keen to dispel the idea that the event was out of control. She told Cherwell, “The History Society would like to say that while there were problems with overcrowding and we had to turn many people away, the event was certainly not rowdy. During the course of the evening a small table was overly leaned on and accidentally broken.“At a later point in the evening the two table legs that had broken off the table disappeared. The History Society does not hold anyone who attended the event responsible but would greatly appreciate any information on the whereabouts of the table legs as we are still looking for them.”The History Society can now, however, rest easy — on Wednesday afternoon, co-president Thomas McPherson informed Cherwell that “the table legs have now been found, so there’s no need to issue an appeal for their return”.Merton College and the Merton MCR could not be reached for comment. For the History Society, it was quite literally a leg-breaking start to the academic year.
Supporters of the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) are claiming that they were tricked into signing forms which put them as candidates for the A Partnership for National Unity team to contest the November 12 Local Government Elections (LGE).Seven persons have reported this to the party’s regional office in New Amsterdam.According to them, the incident occurred at the Plegtanker/Koortbradt NDC on the East Bank of Berbice.A declaration signed by one of the persons whose names appears on both the PPP and APNU listOmesh Kumar is one such person. According to him, he did sign a form to indicate that he will be a candidate for the PPP but on Nomination Day, his name also appeared on the A Partnership for National Unity’s (APNU) list of candidates.Meanwhile, Tulapersaud Heeman Kumar claims that he was tricked into signing a second form. He told Guyana Times that following a consultation meeting which the PPP held last week, he was nominated to be one of its representatives. However, the following day, a prominent villager who once supported the PPP, and whom he later learnt now supports APNU, went to his home and gave him a similar form to sign. According to him, the man told him that there was a mistake on the form he had signed for the PPP and he had to sign it again.Heeman Kumar said he was unaware that the second form he was signing was going to be taken to APNU. Other persons from the community also gave this publication simulate stories.The persons have since signed affidavits indicating their choice of party they wish to support. The PPP is expected to present this alleged fraud to the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) on Monday.While the LGE Nomination Day when smoothly in several parts of Guyana, in Berbice, Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) there were several hiccups.At the Plegtanker/Kortberaadt NDC on the East Bank of Berbice – one of two new NDCs in the region – the PPP is contending it had arrived at the NDC with its list since 20:00h on Thursday, but the security guard there reserved a place for A Partnership for National Unity (APNU), which arrived sometime after 05:30h on Friday – the same time at which the returning officer arrived – and the Returning Officer allegedly allowed APNU to submit its list first, which according to PPP Member of Parliament, Adrian Anamayah, is an act that has raised concerns for his party.According to Anamayah, APNU members had fooled persons and had caused them to sign documents which APNU members used to indicate that those persons were APNU candidates. He said that had his party been allowed to be the first to submit its documents, as should rightly have been the case, some of those names would not have been allowed on the APNU list.Meanwhile, at the other end of the region, a similar situation played out, wherein the PPP said it was at the office first and was given the number one tag, but the Returning Officer asked for APNU to be first to submit its list after members of that party began to behave unruly in the GECOM compound.Again, Anamayah is contending the PPP was denied its right to be the first to submit its list and he is alleging that GECOM already is acting in a seemingly biased manner.According to the parliamentarian, the PPP will be challenging the actions of the Returning Officer in court. (Andrew Carmichael)
The ITA is also a key collaborator in the B.C.’s Skills for Jobs Blueprint. Informally known as the McDonald report, delivered on April 29, 2014, the review set out 29 recommendations to strengthen B.C.’s trades training system.The ITA, in collaboration with the Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Responsible for Labour, has decided to implement 14 of these recommendations, with the remaining 15 expected to be completed in the next nine months, according to Director of Communications for ITA Susan Kirk.The following are the 14 recommendations from the McDonald report implemented by the ITA:Establishing the Labour Market Priorities BoardReconstituting the ITA BoardCompleting 90 Day Transition PlanTen Sector Advisory Groups being formedIntegrating functions of Industry Training Organizations into ITAAppointing 15 regional Apprenticeship Advisors, including six with Aboriginal focusDissolution of the Trades Training Consortium of B.C. as a Crown agencyIncorporating outcomes-based measures into service planConfirming ITA as a Crown agencyGovernment confirming its own decisions be aligned with targets and reinforcing that every partner has role in meeting targetsRecognizing organized labour in the definition of “industry”ITA eliminating by fiscal year-end holdbacks for courses not delivered by PSIsDeveloping an inventory on partnerships between ITA, PSIs, K-12 system and innovation in the tradesCabinet approving enhanced bid criteria on public sector procurement projects- Advertisement -“One year ago we launched an independent review of the Industry Training Authority to ensure it meets its mandate and reaches the targets and outcomes needed to help British Columbians develop the skills needed to be first in line for jobs,” writes Shirley Bond, Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Minister Responsible for Labour. “One year later, the ITA has made significant progress transforming their organization by implementing 14 of the 29 recommendations with the remaining 15 to be completed in the next nine months.”Other accomplishments made by the ITA to improve the trades industry, according to Kirk, include developing and implementing a strategic plan to prepare a skilled and qualified workforce for B.C.’s liquefied natural gas sector titled, An Action Plan for LNG Trades Training; introducing an Industry Relations team to oversee broader sector engagement; and continuing to work with government in developing and establishing a transparent process for making training investment decisions that align with labour market demand targets.The ITA leads and coordinates B.C.’s skilled trades system – working with employers, employees, industry, labour, training providers and government to issue credentials, manage apprenticeships, set program standards and increase opportunities in the trades.Advertisement