President Muhammadu BuhariNigerian President Muhamadu Buhari is in the United states for an official visit being hosted by president Barack Obama.Buhari began his four day day visit in Washington on Sunday where he is expected to hold talks with the President Barack Obama.The two leaders will talk about the threat posed by Islamist extremist group Boko Haram among other issues facing the new government of President Buhari.The U.S. is seeking to assist Nigeria in dealing with the menace that is Boko Haram, the militants, who have intensified their attacks since Buhari took office in May.The two heads of state will also likely discuss proposed political and economic reforms in Nigeria aimed at ending widespread corruption.President Buhari has been accompanied by a 33-man delegation, who will hold consultations with their U.S counterparts, and other events, aimed at building strong Nigeria-U.S relations.Also up for discussion during the visit is how the United States would help Nigeria track billions of stolen assets and increase U.S military assistance.This is Buhari’s first visit to Washington since winning the presidential election in March and assuming office in a rare peaceful transfer of power in Nigeria.Both the U.S. and Nigeria appear eager to improve relations after years of strained ties under President Goodluck Jonathan.Nigerian officials turned down some of the assistance the U.S. offered to combat Boko Haram, even after the militant group sparked international outrage with the kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls in May 2014.
The University of Wisconsin men’s soccer team was scheduled to play against UIC under the lights of Camp Randall, but for logistical reasons the match was moved to the McClimon Complex.Although the result will not count towards the regular season in the fall, the team is still looking forward to the game.“It’ll be a great experience … but it doesn’t add any pressure,” senior goaltender Alex Horwath said.Wisconsin’s original spring schedule initially included a Camp Randall game against UW-Milwaukee in addition to the UIC matchup. The Badgers will also play against the Panthers at McClimon.The team was looking forward to not only playing in the open air at the football stadium, but to getting out of the McClimon facility, where the field is not regulation size. Among those looking forward to the change of scenery will be senior forward Scott Lorenz, who led the team in goals last season.“It’s nice getting to be outside again,” Lorenz said. “We’ve kind of been clamped in the McClain a little bit, so it’ll be real nice to be out here.”Head coach Todd Yeagley, who was an offseason acquisition for the Badgers from Indiana, will be facing off against two other Indiana grads, UIC coaches John Trask and Sean Phillips. In fact, when Yeagley and Phillips were seniors in 1994, the Hoosiers were the national title runners-up.If the Badgers hope to keep up with the Flames, they will have to play solid defense, an area in which they struggled in last year. The team was ranked 58th in the country and gave up over a goal per game. Facing a team that averaged 1.44 goals per game last year, the Badgers will have their hands full.“The players are excited, we have a tough opponent Friday,” Yeagley said.In fact, the Flames swept Wisconsin’s three in-state rivals last season, all teams the Badgers faced. UIC, which advanced to the Sweet 16 in last year’s NCAA Tournament, also played the Big Ten competitively as well last season, losing only one of their four matches.Despite the tough competition, the Badgers feel they are ready for the challenge.“We’ve definitely taken steps in a positive direction the whole time,” Lorenz said. “The rest of the coaching staff has done a great job in getting us in shape.”The exhibition game is part of a five-game spring schedule the Badgers will undertake before the regular season starts in the fall. With a new coach and a successful season, the Badgers are hoping to ride the momentum into a successful Big Ten season.“We have a lot of our scorers coming back,” Lorenz said. “I think we’re going to be an all-around threat this fall.”In their first spring game against Loyola, Erik Conklin’s penalty-kick goal was the decisive factor in Wisconsin’s 1-0 victory. Conklin, who was a second-team All-Big Ten selection, will be crucial in filling the void left by 2008 captains Victor Diaz and Andy Miller. With Lorenz, Conklin and Horwath all coming back for their senior seasons, the team should find more success than last season’s 1-5-1 Big Ten record. Although the Badgers emerged victorious over Loyola, Friday’s game should be the first real test of their offseason improvement.Despite the limited ground to play in, the Badgers are still excited about facing tough competition.“We want to continue the tradition of winning here and come out on Friday,” Lorenz said.
Loughlin and Giannulli are among 15 parents of the 36 named in the admissions case to decline a plea deal and stand trial in federal court. Unless the couple reverse their plea, the federal government may ask their daughters, Isabella and Olivia Jade, to testify. The sisters attended USC before news of the scandal broke in March but are no longer enrolled, the University confirmed in October. According to court documents, the defendants have requested evidence from the federal government regarding information admissions scheme organizer William “Rick” Singer gave to the parents about the objective behind the payments they made for their children’s admission. The parents alleged Singer had told them the money that would fund a legitimate nonprofit organization, a claim that may challenge the bribery charges, according to the defense in court documents. Lori Loughlin and husband Mossimo Giannulli allegedly made payments to USC to secure admission for their two daughters. (Vincent Leo | Daily Trojan) In the filing, Loughlin’s defense waived her court appearance scheduled for Jan. 27 and entered into a not guilty plea in response to a fourth superseding indictment filed Jan. 14. Actress Lori Loughlin pleaded not guilty again Monday in Boston federal court to the three charges she faces in the admissions scandal after allegedly gaining her daughters’ admission to USC as false athletic recruits. In a separate motion also filed Monday, defense representing admissions case parents Loughlin, Giannulli, investor William McGlashan Jr. and businessman John Wilson requested a three-day extension to its Friday deadline by which they are required to submit court documents. The documents will support the defenses’ Jan. 14 request for the federal government to release further evidence relevant to Loughlin’s case, in which the defendants accused the prosecution of misrepresenting the money they paid for their children’s admission. Both have maintained not-guilty pleas since their first indictment in March, and the couple allege the prosecution is withholding information relevant to the defendants’ case, a claim the government has refuted. The indictment charges Loughlin, her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, and 17 other parents involved in the case with 13 counts. Among them, Loughlin and Giannulli face charges of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and honest services mail and wire fraud, conspiracy to commit federal programs bribery and conspiracy to commit money laundering for paying $500,000 to gain their daughters admission through crew. “Defendant and her counsel affirm that Ms. Loughlin has received a copy of the Fourth Superseding Indictment and that Ms. Loughlin pleads not guilty to each of the counts against her,” the court arraignment waiver read. The motion, which asks the court to extend the deadline until Friday, stated that the additional time would allow the defense to review motion and report documents the government released Monday. It also asked that the government respond to the defendants’ filing by Feb. 7. The case’s next status hearing is scheduled for Feb. 27 in Boston federal court.
Honourable Esther Byer-Suckoo, Minister of Labour, Social Security and Human Resource Development of Barbados (right) hands over the signed agreement for the Regional Initiative – Latin America and the Caribbean free of Child Labour to José Manuel Salazar-Xirinachs, ILO Regional Director for Latin America and the Caribbean (right) as OAS Secretary General Luis Almagro looks on (centre). The International Labor Organization (ILO) says Barbados has become the ninth Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country to join the Regional Initiative, Latin America and the Caribbean Free of Child Labor.It said that the island’s Labor Minister Esther Byer-Suckoo handed over the signed agreement to José Manuel Salazar-Xirinachs, ILO Regional Director of the Americas and Caribbean in the margins of the Organization of American States (OAS) XX Inter-American Conference of Ministers of Labor held here earlier this month.It said as a result of Barbados signing the agreement, it now brings the total number of participating countries in the region to 28, all aligned in pursuit of a common objective: to accelerate the rate of reduction of child labor in the region and by 2025, to eliminate all forms of child labor.According to the ILO, Barbados has ratified the commitments set forth in the Convention on the Rights of the Child and has also ratified ILO Conventions 138 on the minimum age for admission to employment and 182 on the Worst Forms of Child Labor.
Costa Rica slowed the USA’s march toward the 2014 World Cup with a 3-1 win Friday, while Mexico were on even shakier ground after a 2-1 loss to Honduras.Costa Rica moved to the top of the six-nation final qualifying group in North and Central America and the Caribbean (CONCACAF) with the victory in San José that ended the USA’s 12-match winning streak.The Ticos now head the group on 14 points, one more than Jurgen Klinsmann’s United States. Mexico, long the powerhouse of the region, are in worse straits heading into another crucial round of matches Tuesday.Two goals in the space of three minutes in the second half lifted Honduras to victory in Mexico City and into third place in the group that will see three teams advance directly to next year’s finals, and the fourth-placed team play off for a berth against New Zealand.Mexico, held to three dispiriting goalless draws in their three prior qualifiers at Azteca Stadium – the venue where they once dominated all comers – appeared poised to turn things around when Oribe Peralta put them ahead 1-0 in the sixth minute.But Jerry Bengtson in the 64th and Carlo Costly in the 66th ensured Honduras came away with a maximum three points that take their total to 10, with Mexico fourth on 8.In San José, Costa Rica were out for revenge after a bitter 1-0 defeat to the United States in Denver in March, in a match played in heavy snow.The hosts jumped to a quick lead as Johnny Acosta beat DaMarcus Beasley on a set-piece corner and headed home a goal in the third minute. Bryan Ruiz #10 battles for a header against Matthew Besler #5 of the United States. Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images/AFP Johnny Acosta #2 celebrates scoring the first goal against the United States with Christian Gamboa #16 during the FIFA 2014 World Cup Qualifier at Estadio Nacional on Friday in San José. Costa Rica schooled the U.S. team 3-1. Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images/AFP Clint Dempsey #8 of the United States reacts after falling 2-0 to Costa Rica. The U.S. never recovered. Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images/AFP Ticos go nuts after Johnny Acosta scored against the United States during their FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014, CONCACAF qualifier football match at the National Stadium. For Costa Rica, now in first place, it was a sweet payback for March’s blizzard match. Hector Retamal/AFP