WADA to investigate claims of systematic doping in China

first_imgThe World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) will investigate allegations by a retired physician that systematic doping took place in Chinese sport during the 1980s and 1990s, the international anti-doping agency said in a statement.In a programme on German channel ARD at the weekend, Xue Yinxian, who worked with several Chinese national teams, called for all medals awarded to the nation’s athletes during that period to be withdrawn.The 79-year-old, who made similar allegations in 2012, said “medals were showered in doping” and claimed around 10,000 Chinese athletes had used banned substances.Xue, who is claiming asylum in Germany, alleged that she was sacked after refusing to administer banned substances ahead of the 1988 Seoul Olympics.”The Agency will ensure that, if action is warranted and feasible under the World Anti-Doping Code, the necessary and appropriate steps will be taken,” WADA said.”As a first step, the Agency has asked its independent Intelligence and Investigations (I&I) team to initiate an investigative process in order to collect and analyse available information in coordination with external partners.”Chinese athletes regularly failed dope tests after the country returned to the Olympic fold in the early 1980s but there was concerted effort by the government to crack down on the use of banned substances ahead of the 2008 Beijing Olympics.Russia’s athletics federation, Paralympic committee and anti-doping agency (RUSADA) remain suspended after reports commissioned by WADA alleged state-sponsored doping.last_img read more

Read more

PDM budget to finance ideas from KPMG Tourism Report Two developments touted

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, April 6, 2017 – Providenciales – Major Developments in tourism sector are expected to be rolled out in the coming months and will be in keeping with the recommendations put forward by the KPMG TCI Tourism Strategy Report completed and published since 2015.Tourism Minister Ralph Higgs showed obvious disdain for the former administration’s failure to implement any of the recommendations of the report.  Higgs said the PDM Administration is now ready to at least tackle the ‘low hanging fruit’ for transformation of the sector.  “For the first time since the introduction of the KPMG report, we have made funds available for the implementation of that report. So as soon as the budget is passed we will roll out a calendar of events carrying out the Change Document, consistent with the recommendations of the KPMG report”The minister in presenting the his ministry’s accomplishments in the PDM government’s First 100 days in office press conference, announced several projects on the cards including the Royal Reef Project, which is said to be in its final phases. The project is expected to benefit residents of North and Middle Caicos, whom the minister reminded were not forgotten by his administration.   Tourism is awaiting the sign off for the Royal Reef Project from investors and stakeholders, and he urged the developers to move quickly on their final plans.Royal Reef had been stalled and is expected to make a rebound and bring much needed employment opportunities to residents of the country’s two largest islands. Minister Higgs confirmed also that  approval was met for the development of a Boutique and Hotel in North Caicos.Meanwhile, plans include the creation of a future terminal in Sandy Point as discussed with the Ports Authority. It is expected that an Environment Impact Assessment will come first for the Sandy Point area. The minister says its aim is to quote “give relief to persons who use those channels for boating and shipping purposes” that there would be no negative environmental effect on the pristine waterway in North Caicos.Story by: Kimberly Ramkhalawan#MagneticMediaNews#twodevelopmentsforNorthCaicos#KPMGtourismreport Related Items:#KPMGtourismreport, #magneticmedianews, #twodevelopmentsforNorthCaicoslast_img read more

Read more

Puel disappointed with Palace defeat

first_imgLeicester City manager Claude Puel has blamed their lackluster first half performance for their 1-0 loss at Crystal Palace.Luka Milivojević’s long-range shot six minutes before the break was the difference on Saturday.Leicester hit the post in the second half after being crucial save by palace keeper Vicente Guaita as they tried to equalize.“Disappointed I think is the right word, of course,” Puel told the club’s website.“I think this team played with strong pressing and put us under pressure. We had difficulties to start with the ball, to find space and to find good moves behind their defenders.harry maguire, manchester UnitedMaguire says United need to build on today’s win George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Harry Maguire wants his United teammates to build on the victory over Leicester City.During the summer, Harry Maguire was referred to as the ultimate…“We played a poor first half without the right intensity and we conceded a great goal. It was tough for us without the positive attitude in our game. [In the] second half, we played better with a good intensity, the right intensity, good play, good moves.“We had three or four chances to score and I think we deserved to come back into the game.“The fair result for me was a draw and we were unlucky in the second half. I regret our first half without the right intensity, the right ingredients.“We allowed them to start well and score the goal. I’m disappointed about this and the inconsistency in our game.“We made our reaction with a good second half but to get the points we needed to play the full game.”last_img read more

Read more

Ft Hunter Liggett Poised to Reach Net Zero

first_imgDesign work on a project to outfit dozens of building with solar panels and install a battery storage system at Fort Hunter Liggett is scheduled to begin shortly, putting the central California Army Reserve installation on a path to net zero energy use.The $22 million project, funded through the energy conservation investment program, includes 5 megawatts of photovoltaic power generation and a 3-megawatt-hour battery energy storage system. The 5-megawatt solar project will include about 500,000 square feet of roof-mounted photovoltaic arrays.Combined with a 2-megawatt array already operating and a 1-megawatt array under construction, the newest project will enable the 165,000-acre post to produce all the energy it consumes, Todd Dirmeyer, the installation’s energy manager, told the Army Engineering and Support Center, Huntsville Public Affairs.Fort Hunter Liggett will be the first installation to achieve net zero through an ECIP-funded project, according to the Corps’ Karen Moore.Since last year, the installation has been running a 1-megawatt-hour batter storage system, according to Dirmeyer.“The battery storage is part of the net zero equation — right now we charge it during the day with any excess solar we have, and we discharge it at night to help meet our off-peak loads — but it’s also part of our energy security solution,” Dirmeyer said. “We are working parallel paths toward net zero and energy security.”“I would like for us to be a model for this country and the world to follow. I think energy — to include the direct effects such as climate change — is probably the number one issue we have on this planet right now,” he said. Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more

Read more