Google ends search, OKs $3.1 billion deal to buy DoubleClick

first_imgThe sellers are San Francisco-based private equity firm Hellman & Friedman, along with JMI Equity and DoubleClick management.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The acquisition is the largest in Google’s history, beating out the $1.76 billion deal for online video-sharing site YouTube Inc. late last year. Though Google commands the lion’s share of the online advertising search market, the addition of DoubleClick’s technology and client network will help further its efforts to branch out beyond simple text ads and into more multimedia offerings. Google and DoubleClick said their combination will offer media buyers and sellers more powerful tools for targeting and analyzing online advertisements and “serving,” or placing them, on an even larger network of Web sites. “It has been our vision to make Internet advertising better – less intrusive, more effective, and more useful,” Sergey Brin, Google’s co-founder and president for technology, said in a statement. “Together with DoubleClick, Google will make the Internet more efficient for end users, advertisers, and publishers.” Shares of Mountain View-based Google fell $2.52, to $463.77, in after-hours trading. DoubleClick has been privately held since 2005. SAN FRANCISCO – Seeking to expand its already well-honed ability to sell targeted Internet advertisements, online search leader Google Inc. said it has agreed to pay $3.1 billion in cash to acquire ad-management technology company DoubleClick Inc. The two companies announced the deal after the markets closed Friday. The boards of both companies have approved the takeover, which is expected to close by the end of the year. New York-based DoubleClick helps its customers place and track online advertising, including search ads, which Google – more than its nearest search competitors Yahoo Inc. and Microsoft Corp. – has turned into an extremely lucrative business. DoubleClick had been the target of a fierce bidding war between Microsoft and Google, and Google’s winning bid is nearly three times the amount DoubleClick fetched when it went private in 2005 for $1.1 billion. last_img read more

Read more

Prolific Bakambu puts China transfer saga behind him

first_img0Shares0000The French-born Congolese striker joined Chinese Super League (CSL) side Beijing Guoan from Villarreal earlier this year in a protracted move shrouded in mystery © AFP / Greg BakerSHANGHAI, China, Jul 29 – Cedric Bakambu says that he made “a good choice” leaving Spain for the riches of Chinese football — and he is proving it by hitting 11 goals in as many games.The French-born Congolese striker joined Chinese Super League (CSL) side Beijing Guoan from Villarreal earlier this year in a protracted move shrouded in mystery. The cost of the transfer was never disclosed, but reports in Spain and France said that 40 million euros was paid to release Bakambu from his Villarreal contract, allowing him to move on a free transfer.The Chinese Football Association (CFA) consequently announced in February that clubs who evade their 100 percent levy on incoming foreign players face crippling point deductions.The 27-year-old, who by some estimations became the most expensive African footballer ever with the move to the Chinese capital, has been an instant hit and played a major part in helping Roger Schmidt’s side top the CSL with half the season gone.Speaking on the eve of Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Shanghai Shenhua — Bakambu was again on the scoresheet — the forward said: “I think I made a good choice to come here.“It is a new experience and I enjoy a lot my new life here in China.”Speaking to AFP after the game, the former France under-20 international said he did not care what people thought about him moving to China from La Liga at the pinnacle of his career.He is thought to earn about 18 million euros a year and previously admitted the cash was a major incentive.“I know why I am here and it does not matter what others think,” he said in his first substantive comments to international media since arriving in China.“I do what I want to do and the most important thing in life is that I am happy, the rest does not matter.”Unlike some other foreign players who move to China, Bakambu brought his family with him.“I like my life here in China and Beijing because I have good friends in my team, I am with my family, I am scoring goals and we are winning a lot of games,” said Bakambu, reportedly on the radar of English Premier League clubs before choosing China.– ‘That’s quality’ –Bakambu is among a cast of overseas players lured to the Asian country on handsome contracts that most clubs in Europe cannot match.But his transfer was more unusual than most, dragging on for weeks as Guoan refused to say that he had signed even though he was pictured training with them.German coach Schmidt, who took over at Guoan a year ago following his sacking by Bayer Leverkusen, was fulsome in his praise of Bakambu.“He’s a very, very good striker and he does not need many opportunities to score,” said the 51-year-old, whose side have lost just once in 14 games this season.Bakambu on Saturday put Guoan in front with a predatory close-range finish, but the visitors conceded an injury-time equaliser.“It was very hard to get great chances to score but at the right moment he was there and that’s not a coincidence — that’s quality,” said Schmidt.“He has done that very often this season, so he was a very good transfer for our club.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Read more

Newcastle target reveals move to England is ’90 per cent complete’

first_img1 Afriyie Acquah has confirmed he is closing in on a move to an English club this summer, amid links with Newcastle United.The 25-year-old Torino midfielder’s future has been the subject of much speculation and he is expected to leave the Serie A club during this transfer window.Newcastle are said to be interested in the Ghanaian and it seems he could be moving to England after confirming he is in talks with an English club.Acquah added that, while negotiations are ongoing, a move could be completed very soon.“Yes, it is very likely I will be moving to England”, he told FootballMadeInGhana.com. “It is 90 per cent complete, but we are still talking, once we finish, I am sure an announcement will be made.??“It has been a dream of mine to play in England and I am very close to achieving this.” Afriyie Acquah last_img read more

Read more