Careless disposal of smoking material causes fire at residential home

Careless disposal of smoking material is to blame for a fire in the Hamilton’s east end on July 21st.Emergency crews were called to a two and a half story home on Gage Avenue South just before 4:30 in the morning.Police placed tape marks in the area where the fire started on the upper level back deck. Broken windows and charred fencing show the damage.Hamilton Fire says the bulk of the blaze was contained to the deck. All residents were outside when crews arrived.There were no injuries reported and damage is estimated at $50,000.

Read more